Legal Services in Massachusetts
Attorney General's Office - Maura Healey
Massachusetts District Attorney's Offices
Massachusetts District Attorney's offices can help in handling crimes against the elderly and people with disabilities including abuse and neglect. Some offices have Elder & Disabilities units.
Better Business Bureau
Boston College Legal Assistance Bureau
- We advise and represent clients with a variety of legal problems, including primarily domestic violence prevention, family law, landlord-tenant disputes, Social Security disability appeals. Pursuant to the Massachusetts student practice rule (SJC 3:03), students supervised by a faculty of supervising attorneys and a clinical social worker are certified to represent clients in every aspect of litigation, including appearing in court and at federal and state administrative hearings.
- Our services are free for low income residents of Waltham, Watertown and Newton. In addition, if you are 60 years old or older, our Elder Project provides information, advice, and referral to residents of Belmont, Brookline, Needham, Newton, Waltham, Watertown, Wellesley and Weston, regardless of income.
Phone: 781-893-4793 Website: https://lawyers.justia.com/legalservice/boston-college-legal-assistance-bureau-13701
Center for Law & Education (CLE)
- Attorneys train other attorneys, parents, educators about education rights
- Website: http://www.cleweb.org
Center for Public Representation (CPR)
- Nonprofit public law firm providing mental health law and disability law services(class action suits). Does not provide individual representation (only Social Security appeal representation)
- Website: http://www.centerforpublicrep.org
Children's Law Center, Inc
- Children issues: DCF custody, guardianship, special education 766, suspension, expulsions and SSI. Serves low income children in eastern Massachusetts.
1-888-KIDLAWS or 888-543-5297 or 781-581-1977
- Website: http://www.clcm.org
- Boston (EdLaw Project)
Offices of CPCS/Youth Advocacy Division
44 Bromfield Street
Boston, MA 02108
Community Legal Aid
- Provides free civil legal services to low-income and elderly residents of central and western Massachusetts regardless on income.Benefits and Employment, Elder Law, Family Law, Housing and Homelessness, and Immigration.
- Offices in Northampton, Pittsfield, Springfield, and Worcester with satellite offices in Fitchburg, Greenfield, Holyoke, Milford, North Adams, and Southbridge.
- 508-755-3260 TTY/TDD
Disability Law Center (DLC)
- DLC Priorities for 2015 are: Housing, Employment, Public Accommodations, Community Integration, Government Services, Access to Health Care Facilities, Education, Human Rights/Abuse & Neglect, Disability Benefits Program (Support for Legal Services in Social Security Disability Cases)
- Boston - 617-723-8455 or 800-872-9992
- Northampton - 413-584-6337 or 800-222-5619
- Website: http://www.dlc-ma.org; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Justice (DOJ) - ADA Info Line
- Technical assistance on ADA standards for accessible design; ADA provisions that apply to business; how to file ADA complaints
- 800-514-0383 (TTY)
Employment Discrimination on Basis of Handicap (MCAD)
Gay & Lesbian Advocates and Defenders (GLAD)
- Legal assistance for discrimination based on HIV or sexual orientation.
617-426-1350 or 800-455-4523
- Call GLAD Answers Monday through Friday, 1:30 PM - 4:30 PM at 800-455-GLAD, or contact us by live chat or email at www.GLADAnswers.org
- MBA Email: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.glad.org
Greater Boston Legal Services (GBLS)
GBLS provides free civil (non-criminal) legal assistance to low-income people in Boston and thirty-one additional cities and towns (See a list of towns in GBLS's service area.) The help we offer ranges from legal advice to full case representation, depending on client need. Our work includes; Asian Outreach, Children's Disability Project, Consumer Rights, CORI and Re-Entry Project, Elder, Health and Disability: Elder Abuse Prevention Project, School to Prison Pipeline Intervention Project, Employment, Family, Housing, Immigration, and Welfare.
- 800-323-3205; 617-371-1234
- 617-603-2700 - Cambridge & Somerville
- 617-371-1228 (TDD)
- Website: http://www.gbls.org
Harvard Tenant Advocacy Project (TAP)
Tenants We Help
Health Law Advocates (HLA)
- Represents low income on health care access and insurance matters. HLA does not handle medical malpractice cases. "Health Care For All" legal help.
- Website: http://www.hla-inc.org
Lawyer Referral Services (Massachusetts Bar Association)
- Does not provide free legal advice or make pro bono referrals.
- Lawyer Referral Service in Massachusetts at 866-627-7577
- Dial-A-Lawyer offers free legal advice each month
- Dial-A-Lawyer, call (617) 338-0610 on the first Wednesday of the month between 5:30 and 7:30 p.m.
- Website: http://www.massbar.org/for-the-public/need-a-lawyer
Legal Advocacy & Resource Center (LARC
Legal Advocacy & Resource Center, Inc.
permanently closed its operations on September 30, 2016.
For referral information,
please use the Legal Resource Finder at www.masslrf.org.
If you do not have internet access, you may call the Massachusetts Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service
at 617-654-0400 or 1-866-MASS-LRS
Mass Advocates for Children (MAC)
Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD)
Discrimination services about employment, housing, public accommodations, services & education
- 617-994-6000 - Boston
- 413-739-2145 - Springfield
- 508-453-9630 - Worcester
- 508-990-2390 - New Bedford
Massachusetts Disabled Persons Protection Committee (DPPC)
- Protects adults with mental and physical disabilities, ages of 18 and 59, from abuse and neglect by their caretakers. 24 Hour Hotline; conducts investigations; ensures protective services are provided; provides free training and education for service providers, consumers, law enforcement personnel and the public.
- DPPC Hotline: 888-822-0350 V/TTY
- Website: http://www.state.ma.us/dppc
Mental Health Legal Advisors Committee (MHLAC)
- State agency providing free legal representation for individuals, families, and associations involved in the mental health system.
617-338-2345 (toll free- MA only) 800-342-9092
- (general email) MHLAC@mhlac.org
- Website: http://www.mhlac.org/
Massachusetts Office on Disability (MOD)
Medicare Advocacy Project (Greater Boston Legal Services)
- Gives advice or free legal representation to elderly & disabled whom are unfairly denied Medicare.
617-371-1234 or 617-371-1228 (TDD) - Boston
617-603-2700 or 617-494-1757 (TDD) - Cambridge / Somerville
- 800-323-3205 (toll-free)
- Website: http://www.gbls.org/impact-advocacy/elder-health-disability
Merrimack Valley Legal Services
- Family law, housing, income maintenance, elder law Lowell
978-458-1465 MA only: 800-336-2262
- Website: http://mvlegal.org/
National Lawyers Guild Referral Service
- Referral to attorneys who will represent you for a reduced fee
Please note that we do not conduct in person client intake for referrals or walk-ins.
- For referral requests for attorneys call 617-227-7008. Please note the call volume is high. We advise all clients to utilize the online request form found here: http://www.nlgmasslawyers.org/. Within one business day you will receive an email with an attorney’s telephone number.
- Website: http://www.nlgmass.org
Patient Advocacy Contact Info at Boston Hospitals
- 617-522-4400 x215 - Arbour Hosptial
- 617-632-0364 - Beth Israel Hospital
- 617-414-4970 - Boston Medical Center
- 617-732-6636 - Brigham & Women's
- 617-726-3370 - Mass General Hosptial
Patient Rights and Responsibilities - Massachusetts General Hospital
Prisoners' Legal Services of Massachusetts
- Provides civil legal assistance to persons incarcerated in Mass county & state correctional facilities. Does not provide criminal defense services.
- Family and Friends call Monday from 1:00 to 4:00 (call Tuesday if Monday is a holiday): 800-882-1413
- Website: http://www.mcls.net
South Coastal Counties Legal Services, Inc. (SCCLS)
- SCCLS provides free legal help to low income and elderly clients in the following areas: housing law, family law, government benefits including social security disability, elder law, education law, and consumer law.
800-244-8393 - Brockton Office
800-287-3777 - Fall River Office
800-742-4107 - Hyannis Office
- Website: http://www.sccls.org/
Women's Bar of Massachusetts
The Women's Bar Foundation is dedicated to ensuring access to justice for low-income women. We create a community committed to providing free legal assistance to low-income women and their families.
- Family Law Project for Battered Women (pro-bono); Elder Law Project-wills health care, Women's Prison and Re-Entry Project- attorneys meet with women and answer questions regarding family law, child custody, care and protection, housing, CORI, and criminal warrant clearing in Framingham and Sufflk County, Hampden County Housing Court Project - to help reduce the number of unrepresented people in Housing Court, Women's Lunch Place Project - volunteer attorneys to staff a weekly clinic for the guests of The Women's Lunch Place, a day shelter for homeless women in Boston.
- Website: http://www.womensbar.org
Volunteer Lawyers Project
The Volunteer Lawyers Project of the Boston Bar Association (VLP) provides free civil legal assistance to low-income residents of Greater Boston, primarily through the pro bono services of private attorneys.
VLP Handles, Landlord/Tenant, Homeownership, Foreclosure Prevention, Family Law, Guardianship, Probate (Wills Consumer Debt, Assistance to Non-Profit Organizations
Fact Sheet last updated on: 8/29/2016
Disclaimer: The Massachusetts
Network of Information Providers for People with Disabilities (MNIP) is pleased
to be able to provide this information. Please Note:
This information is not comprehensive nor is it intended to take the place of professional advice.
The user is encouraged to check other resources of such information.
No endorsement by the University of Massachusetts Medical School, DisabilityInfo.org, INDEX or any of its affiliates should be inferred.
We reserve the right to remove, to modify, or to add any listing at any time, for any reason, and without notice.
Any information you may provide to update or further complete
this information would be appreciated. Please
contact us with comments. We appreciate your help.